Friday, March 14, 2008

Does Anyone Know?

Okay, I do more than just take walks and snap pictures. Really I do. I've been up to my armpits in receipts from 2007, building spreadsheets, and trying to get all our fiscal ducks in a row, because April 15th is just a month away. I've also been trying to get caught up on my homework assignments from the correspondence writing course that I am taking. And then there is always laundry, meal preparation, dishes, reading, and naturally ... blogging.

But this post concerns walking and snapping pictures. This time on my walk I saw a plant (I don't know whether to call it a tree, a bush, or a shrub) and I don't know what it is. You know I come from the land of prickly pear, cactus, mesquite bushes, etc. and nothing like this would ever grow in our desert land. So, I'm counting on my wonderful readers with more plant knowledge than I to identify this for me.

Here are some pictures of the blooms. The tree type bush is about 8 foot tall. (I've see it in Hot Springs and that one was even taller.) The leaves are very sturdy, almost hard, like a holly leaf. They are a dark green and are very shiny. If you know what this plant is, please leave a comment! Thanks!

3 comments:

Laura Petersen said...

Hi, it's a Camellia. I was 95% sure until I searched in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camellia. Also if you google for camellia and look at images you'll find really gorgeous ones.
My grandma used to have a couple of plants. If I remember correctly they bloomed in winter, which was really unusual, and I have this memory of a nice smell too.

Keep snapping pictures. I just happened to check the Next blog and that was yours :)

Gracie Bird said...

Looks like a camelia to me.

God's Gal Sarah said...

Whatever it is, it's beautiful! :-)