Tuesday, February 3, 2009

To Answer Your Questions

You sweet readers have asked a couple of questions in your comments and I want to answer them. One thing you wanted to know is how I got through the third grade in just two weeks.

My Third Grade Story

I went to Bivins Grade School at Masterson, Texas. The only thing smaller than Masterson, TX was Bivins Grade School. On average there were about 24 students K-6th grade. My class had three students, including me.

I was an A+ student without trying and my classmates had to work hard to earn their letter grades that were not as high as mine. I'm not meaning to sound proud, after all, we're talking first and second grade. Not much of a track record to brag about.

The second and third grades occupied the same classroom and were taught simultaneously by one teacher. Mrs. Doughty.

I never remember having a problem with Mrs. Doughty and I didn't know that she had any problems with me. But undoubtedly she did. I whizzed through second grade and had a good time doing it. It was the good time I had that prompted Mrs. Doughty to ask my parents if she could advance me after only two weeks in the third grade.

That teacher told my parents that I didn't apply myself. Humm. I didn't need to. I was bored out of tiny little gourd. And in my boredom I became a distraction to the other students. I cleaned out my desk, played in the sand box, and talked (imagine that) when the other students needed to work and study. I finished my work quickly and had too much free time on my hands. I needed to be challenged.

I'm guessing that if I'd stayed in the third grade all year, Mrs. Doughty might have decided to take early retirement.

But I like to think that the real thing that scooted me on through the third grade so quickly was the providential hand of God. There are many people that I would have never know had I entered Jr. High and High School a year later. My husband of 27+ years is one of them.

My history and my life would be totally different if I had not skipped the third grade. I could play "what if" for days on the thought. But what a waste of time that would be. Instead, I'll offer a "thank you" to God for numbering my days and ordering my steps. How HUGE is my God!

Now you tell me...
How has God numbered your days and ordered your steps to change YOUR life and YOUR history? How huge is your God?

***************************
Your second question is, Why do I travel about the country and call so many places "home?"
Living Like Gypsies
It's my husband's job. Rick is a catastrophic insurance adjuster. In the industry he's know as a CAT adjuster. (Sounds like a chiropractor for furry pets, huh?) It works like this--
Insurance companies employ a small number of staff adjusters. They live and work in one place handling those day to day claims like grease fires, toilet overflows, vandalism, thefts, etc.
But when a disaster strikes and too many claims come pouring in for the staff adjusters to handle, your insurance company calls up a third-party company whose business it is to supply temporary adjusters (aka CAT adjusters) to help you get your money in a timely manner.
CAT adjusters don't get paid when there are no CATS. We depend on hail storms, ice storms, hurricanes, wild fires, mud slides, floods,... You get the picture. Cat adjusters usually live in RVs or extended stay motels. We all have places we call home, but the more time we spend there, the harder it is to pay the bills.
It's a different life for sure. It has it ups and downs, its positives and negatives. Why do we do it? I don't know for sure, but I think it has something to do with desires to live by faith, help people who are facing trials, and, well, EAT.
It's your turn.
Why do you do live where you live and do what you do?

6 comments:

Cindy said...

How has God numbered my days and ordered our steps to change my life and history? God has taken us from one place of employment to another and when we looked back at each of them we can see how God was working to bring us to eactly where we are at this time. I am amazed that God would even want to take the time to send us to all those places and work out all those details to get us to where we are at this time. There is so much I could put here but I will stop with that.
We live where we live and do what we do? It is not by my choice. The one place that I never wanted to be and actually said when I was a little girls is I DO NOT want to live in San Antonio, Texas. It is way to hot. Actually I always wanted to live in Amarillo and I guess God had to put me there so that I could say that I did live there. Well, I am in SA and I can honestly say that I know that I am where God wants me and our family. I don't know if you remember how much I didn't want to leave and move here but this has been the best place for us to live. Thank you so much to my awesome and BIG GOD.

IdaR said...

I think I can answer both questions with one answer. How has God numbered my days and ordered my steps to change my life and history and why I live where I live and do what I do? When OneOke bought out the transmission station where Joe worked from Kinder-Morgan each man was interviewed with OneOke for his job. Joe's interview fell at the end of a week of midnight shift. He was not hired. It came as a shock to everyone. If anyone should have been rehired, it was Joe. Steady, never missing a day of work, he knew that plant frontwards and backwards. He began to look for somewhere to transfer, there was a job open in Sayre, Oklahoma. Since he has relatives there, and it isn't too far from Amarillo, he decided that was where he would apply. The job immediately closed, and no applications were being taken for it. There were 3 other jobs open. Each of them became unavailable except the job in Scott City, KS. SO...that is where he applied. The job he applied for was given to another person. But, before Joe could get home, another job came open, and he was hired. God went to a lot of trouble to get us to Scott City.
If we had not moved here many things would be different. I would not have 3 of my 4 grandchildren. I would never have played in the Just Cause Band. I would never have played a mandolin or fiddle or the drums. More important I would not be the Music Minister of Immanuel Southern Baptist Church. I know that we are where God wants us to be, and we will stay here as long as He wants us to. How BIG is my God? He is BIGGER than anything life hands me. Thank you Lord, for leading us where you need us to be.

Travis said...

This is awesome. Now I know what I did wrong in 3rd grade. I acted too dumb. I think if I'd acted smarter, then maybe I'd have advanced faster.

Actually, I barely made it through grade school. My parents wanted to hold me back on year, but I couldn't stand the thought of being left behind by my friends. Of course, I'd have never married my wife, and I wouldn't have my kids, so I'm very grateful for what God has given me.

Edie said...

I love your stories. You certainly have an exciting life.

It's 1:00 am and I can't think well enough to answer your questions just now but great food for thought.

Goodnight!

Deanna said...

How has God numbered my days and ordered my steps to change my life and my history? How huge is my God?

I know God does this every day all day long, but what comes to my mind from my past is that if I had not been single again, and been involved in the most ungodly, unholy things I could come up with (probably tame by many standards but waaaaaaay out of line for me...things I didn't know I was capable of doing), when Randy and I met, we would not have even liked each other. I could say nor would I have come to know my Lord except I know that He would have found another way to my heart. But I would probably have married some bozo instead of the love of my life and the best man I know.

Why do we do live where we live and do what we do?

I was born and raised in Monticello, Arkansas and in my high school+ years I knew I did not want to spend my life there. I got married and lived other places (Monroe, LA; Minneapolis, MN; Montgomery, AL; back to Monticello, AR and was divorced). That's when I met Randy. We married and I moved to Houston where he lived. When we met he told me he had always wanted to live in southeast Arkansas because that's where he spent his summers with his grandparents. Well, you know what it's like when you're in love and have stars in your eyes...I thought "uh huh, uh huh"...but I had no idea that he meant that. So, we now live back in Monticello, AR and it's been great because I'm with the person who's the most important in the world to me. Why do we do what we do? Randy had his heart set on his current job. I was torn because I knew he would have to travel and we have seldom been apart. He got the job and I was driving to Little Rock in connection with my job and I asked myself, "What would I do if I really loved myself?" (That's a flylady.net thing...check it out.) The answer came back immediately and I believe it was from the Lord instead of from Flylady..."Quit your job." From that very second, I checked out. Even that day in Little Rock during training I couldn't concentrate...I was planning. I told Randy that night and he said, "Great...now you can travel with me." And here we are! Thank you Lord.

My word is amenchi. Hmmmmm...do you think that's Amen in some language or other?

Lavonda Pflug said...

I want to thank everybody for their stories. I will always be amazed at how perfectly God works every detail out so perfectly. Even when we decide to stray and go our own way, He is faithful and patient to bring us back on track when we trust and look to Him.
Yes, how great is our God!!!