Monday, May 10, 2010

How are you?

I'm behind. Traveling always throws me off my not too regular routine and messes up the schedule I don't have and couldn't keep if I had it. That's why I'm behind. I've been traveling. It's the dashing part of my adventure.

Yesterday I missed posting my photos for the week past. I hope to get that done today, so check back.

We never got that call to go to Arkansas, so Thursday we headed toward Houston (from San Antonio) to see some of our kids. Forty miles from their apartment, hubby's phone rang. It was the deployment office. WOOO HOOO! (Thank you for praying!)

We were sad that we didn't get to see the kids, but we really need the work, so at the first exit we came to, we headed toward home to get the RV. (Incidentally, the next exit just so happened to be the exit we needed to take to get us on the right road home. I am always fascinated by quirky details and how God seems to always be in the middle of them.)

We got home somewhere between 11:00 and midnight and finally crawled in bed around 1:30 a.m. The wind howling and rocking the camper kept us awake until about 3:30 a.m. and my alarm went off at 6:15. Time lost importance at that point, and we simply did what we had to do so that we could be in Mississippi by Saturday. I love it when I hear Gee P. Ess, (That's the little lady my husband carries around, stuck to his windshield, that tells him where to go) announce, "You have arrived!"

And here we are in Southaven, Mississippi.

Hubby and I took some time yesterday to go to church across the border in the Memphis, TN area before Rick had to start working. We had the privilege of visiting New Hope Christian Church where Scott Greer is the pastor. We knew Scott as our pastor from a few years ago in Amarillo, Texas. It was good to see him again and the surprised look on his face when he saw my husband and me. We exchanged greetings, and when Scott shook my hand he asked, "Well, how are ya? Are you growing?"

I was flabbergasted! I don't think he was talking about my height or pant size. (Why ask about the obvious, right?) I don't believe anyone has ever asked me that before. And I'll go on to say that I doubt any person, besides maybe my parents, has ever been very concerned about my spiritual growth. I was so caught off guard, my words stumbled and fell roughly and senselessly out of my mouth. The usual and brainless response of , I'm fine, how are you, wouldn't answer his question. Who wants to lie to a preacher, and who wants to tell their former pastor, No I'm not growing--just stagnating?

Thankfully, Scott was gracious and took my stupid reply, which didn't actually answer his question, and chose not to press me farther. Maybe he should had though, ya think? That one little question, loaded like a double barrel shotgun, made me want to throw up my spiritual hands and beg for mercy. I'm afraid I might be caught too often in the act of religious rote, I'm sorry to say, with insufficient growth for notice.

What about you?

The next time you greet someone, will you care enough, or be bold enough to ask, "How are you doing? Are you growing?" And if someone asks the question of you, what will your answer be?

I think I'm going to have to get back to you on that one.    


Lavonda

4 comments:

Edie said...

Yay for the job! You know I'm praying for you.

I love how God is in those quirky little details too. Especially when I have the eyes to see Him there. That was encouraging.

Are you growing? That is something every preacher should ask! I love it! My response is I sure hope so. I'm working on it but may not be sure til a later date.

Maybe you should have said "Are you?" LOL!

Have a great day my friend!

IdaR said...

Well who needs Arkansas when you can have Mississippi, right? Glad that you got a job.

Cindy said...

I agree with Edie. Maybe more Pastors should ask that more. I bet it would make their jobs easier because more people would not want to bother them knowing that they were going to ask that. LOL.
I am glad that you got the job. I was wondering about your post the other day about Church in one state, job in another.....
Thank you for making me think on this one. I am not sure what I would have said if I had been ask that and not expected it either. Enjoyed seeing you when you visited San Antonio. Sorry that you didn't get to see you kids. I am sure that they understood.
Have a great week and can't wait to hear about your new adventures.

Lavonda Pflug said...

Thanks for your comments ladies, and your prayers. Yes it is so good to be working. Right now it looks like we may only be here about two weeks unless more claims come trickling in. (You can keep praying for that or another place to go when we are done here.)
I think I'm going to work on that growth thing...if we go back to church there, I want to be prepared if Scott shakes my hand again! :)
I wonder what questions might await me in heaven? Just a thought.