Monday, October 27, 2008

My Word for the Day

I like words. I like to read them, write them, hear them, say them, study them, define them, pick them apart, combine them... In words there is power. (tool-man grunt) With words we can change a man's opinion, shape his thinking, encourage him, inspire him, heal him, and bless him. Words can also do the opposite if used in an unwise and evil manner. I can't think of a more powerful tool or weapon than the spoken or written word. Think about it. Once launched, like heat seeking missiles, words can't be called back and they will have an impact. Heavy stuff.

Today my word is cuisine.

Defined: A noun--style or method of cooking.

My favorite form of the word: Southern cuisine

Defined: fried green tomatoes, blackeyed peas, okra, pulled pork, cornbread, fried chicken, turnip greens... I could go on and on.

Don't get me wrong here. One of my favorite things about living everywhere and nowhere is the exposure to different regional cuisines. (Maybe one reason my backside looks like the seat in my hubby's Dodge Ram.) I've eaten the best pizza, lobster, and scallops ever in New England. Everyone knows that if you want good south-of-the-border food nothing beats Tex-Mex and that's found only in, well, Texas of course. I guess Texas and Kansas will always be at odds over where you can find the best BBQ. And if you are craving crawfish you'd better go to Louisiana. But the one cuisine I could eat day after day and never get tired of is good ol' down-home Southun Cookin'. There is plenty of that here in Mobile. Um um good!

After spending the morning doing the laundry at still yet a different laundromat, (I've been washing around to see which one I like the best) I met my sweet hubby for lunch at the Big Time Diner. And yep, I'm ashamed to admit, I ate fried green tomatoes, pulled pork, fried okra, and mashed potatoes. But I was a good girl and had UN-sweet tea. (What-Ev-er!)

I justified my menu choices--I've had a bad stomach ache the last two days and have eaten only chicken-noodle-soup and half of a grilled cheese since Saturday morning. I feel much better today so... And tomorrow?

Did I tell you I joined a gym?

8 comments:

Sharon said...

mmmm My favorite food is fried green tomatoes. It happens to be my favorite movie too. I can relate to your love for words. Sometimes I feel like I can't type enough, write enough, say enough, express enough. I know, you know what I mean. Today, I'm using my words to hopefully influence the "non-voters" to become "voters". Your dinner sounds so yummy. I'd probably have shown up on your porch with a fork in my hand if I lived in Texas. Thanks for stopping by my oak swing today, come back and visit me again really soon :)

Walter Mitty said...

Just keep writing those words. You have a talant and I notice your audience is growing. :)

My word for today is euctati. I don't know what it means but its the word I have to type in to post this comment.

Lavonda Pflug said...

Why Mr. Mitty, I tought you would have written your own definition for your invented word.
Thanks for the compliment and encouragement.

Brittney said...

OK You just made my lunch of waldorf chicken salad and a carton of yogurt sound so distasteful. I love fried green tomatoes, fried okra....steak, chicken, potatoes, (I fight my love for fried foods all the time). I too love southern cooking. Such comfort food. I just wish I had more time to cook it the right way. Thanks for sharing and making my mouth water. Hope you are feeling much better.

Edie said...

Ok, I've never had fried green tomatoes but I do love all the other foods you listed.

Words to live by:
If you don't know how to cook it, fry it, it's bound to be good!

And my word for the day is skark.

Lavonda Pflug said...

Edie, you don't know what you're missing! But yes, if you dip it in batter and fry it in oil it has to be good.

You funny people and your funny words. I love having readers with a sense of humor. You all should write a story using all your security words. (I had to euctati the skark before I dropped it in the dewrook.) LOL dewrook--my word for this comment.

Chris Depew said...

The only thing to eat is southern food. Although, I am not familiar with what un-sweet tea is. You might have to fill me in later on that. Thank you for that little piece of life from my favorite place, the south.

Lavonda Pflug said...

Chris,
Thanks for stopping by. As you know, tea in the south is sweatened with lots of sugar. So think that is the only way to drink it. I have mine without sugar. You usually have to ask your server for unsweet tea, because if you simply ask for tea, you'll get it sweetened every time.