Wednesday, June 16, 2010

You mean it's not all about ME? and other stuff

No I didn't get lost. I've just not been at the keyboard much the past several days. See, I have this "condition"--dry eye--and it has really been bothering me. It has been so bad that blinking has caused me real pain. (Not fake pain) So I've avoided the computer because staring at a computer screen for hours makes my condition worse. Today, though, I gave in, put some gooey drops in my winkers, and here I am. 

Let me see--(easier said than done with these drops in my eyes) I think in my last post I told you we were going to relocate. And we did. Hubby found a mobile home/RV park that had one RV space available, so we took it. We are in Gillette now.

The view out my back window is not the baby mountain I had before. No, it is quite different.
I think I'm looking at the back side of a power company. The other day I watched a big set of claws unload a truck full of high line posts. Transformers, spools of wire, and a bunch of stuff I can't identify rest just beyond a drainage ditch and vacant lot behind our spot. See, I told you we aren't on vacation.

We are also located just a few dozen paces from a ...


Gillette is a coal mining town. So several times a day, (and night) coal trains, along with regular freight trains, come and go and come and go and come and go and... Well, you get the picture. Too bad I can't post sound here too. WOO WOO!!!! DING DING DING DING!!! WOOOO WOOOOO!!!!!


It's not all bad though. The move enables hubby to get an extra hour of sleep every morning, gets him home and hour earlier every night, and saves us several dollars in fuel costs each day. I've got a whole bunch of sparrows that will eat an entire feeder full of food in a single day. And God knows I need a little entertainment sometimes, so today, this guy wandered into town.
He seemed a little lost and confused. I could tell he felt out of place, but I thanked the Lord for sending him for my enjoyment and took his picture. I hope he made it back out to the open countryside without encountering a car or truck.

This morning visitor made me think. (Yes, here I go again.)
 In your adventure of following the Lord, have you ever felt like a wild buck stuck in the middle of a busy town? Did you wonder what in the world you were doing there? Did you think that because you were so frightened or lost or felt so out of place that surely you had missed God's direction or call on your life?

Did you ever stop to think that maybe outside your security and comfort zone where God placed you was not all about His plan for you but about His plan to bless someone else? And maybe, just maybe, He wanted to do that through you?
I'm going to try to keep this deer in mind the next time I'm a bit uncomfortable in the place God puts me. If I start to whine, and cry and complain, you can remind me that it's not all about me. Just remind me with love, okay?

Okay, now on to the other stuff.

Sunday hubby didn't work. It poured rain here all day and he usually tries to take some time off on Sunday anyway, so it worked out great. We loaded up in the truck and headed for a place that some of you might think was named for me. But it wasn't. Crazy Woman Canyon. There is more than one legend in these parts about the Crazy Woman...I'll let you do the research for yourself. Just keep in mind, I'm not her! (You might think differently if you'd been with me as I tried to take pictures on our drive through the canyon.)

Our drive took us through some of the most beautiful ranch land I've ever seen in my whole life. And, being that I'm a ranch girl from Texas, I've seen a LOT of pretty ranch land. Honestly, I saw so much beauty my eyes could hardly take it all in. Rolling hills, mountains, canyons, creeks, ponds, wild life, domesticated animal, ...

I'll try to keep my narration down to a minimum so you can just enjoy the pictures. (Which by the way, can't even begin to do to the scenery  justice at all.) For this part of my bold adventure, you are going to need to put your chair in front of your opened freezer/refrigerator, get out a bag of frozen peas and place it on the back of your neck, and have someone spritz you with a water bottle ever now and then because it was a cool and rainy day.
I didn't get to see the animal that left this pile behind, but I used all my detective skills and sound reasoning and determined it must have been an elk. These "pills" were too big to have come from a deer.
 
It seemed as if you could almost pluck the clouds from the sky and eat them as cotton candy.
I'm sure you've noticed the snow. Hubby and I had a little discussion as to whether it was freshly fallen or still melting in the spring thaw.
I finally conceded when we saw snow still resting on top of the branches and fence posts. Yes, it had snowed the night before we took our drive. At somewhere over 8,000 feet in elevation, it was cool. (Hubby thought it was COLD.)
But he's not a woman trapped in the purgatory of mid-life. What does he know? I called the day "crisp."

As we entered Crazy Woman Canyon, we saw a sign that said downhill traffic should give right-of-way to uphill traffic. I thank the good Lord that we didn't meet anybody going uphill! I honestly don't know where downhill traffic was supposed to pull over and let anyone by! I kept making poor hubby stop in the middle of the road so I could get out and take pictures. He was very patient with me but I'm sure that before we got out of the canyon he was sure The Crazy Woman was in the truck cab with him.

Okay, okay, okay...I see you squirming in your seat and the peas have lost their cool. You know the crazy woman took way too many pictures...I won't force you to look at all of them. After all, it's not all about me. ;)


Lavonda

7 comments:

Karen said...

Very awesome pictures...that canyon road looked tiny!

"a woman trapped in the purgatory of mid-life."...nice description...and "they could not possible relate...

I loved your analogy with the deer...and yes, I have felt that way before...thanks for the loving reminder that it's not all about me:)

Lavonda Pflug said...

The canyon road WAS tiny, Karen. It was rough and a little washed out in places, but the view was well worth the drive. God's creativity is matchless!

LaVon Baker said...

It is 2:56 AM and my eyes are glazing over. I have to go to bed, but I will be back to look at your gorgeous pictures!

LaVon Baker said...

I told you I would be back.

Your pictures are so amazing. What beautiful country. Thanks for helping me feel like I'm there!

Edie said...

Oh I love your beautiful pictures! Love the horses and how you captured their reflection in the water!

I'm going to have to catch up a little over here. I seem to have missed a bit. :)

I never thought there would come a day when I would enjoy "crisp" 37 degree temps. Ah the joys of being a woman...NOT. :)

Deanna said...

I knew there was a reason I want to visit Wyoming. Your pictures are gorgeous!

Lavonda Pflug said...

Edie, I'm right there with ya! We linger in the freezer section at the grocery store, have the AC repairman on stand-by, "just in case", and wonder why we even own a jacket. :)
Thanks for the comments and compliments. Yeah I like the horse picture too.

Deanna, Wyoming is definitely a place to put on your "I want to go there" list. I'm thankful we've had this opportunity!