Sunday, August 10, 2008

Promises of God

"Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And the LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. And the Lord said 'I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the sky; for I am sorry that I have made them.'"

"But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD."

"Then the flood came upon the earth for forty days; and the water increased and lifted up the ark so that it rose above the earth."

"And the water prevailed upon the earth one hundred and fifty days."

"But God remembered Noah and all the beasts and all the cattle that were with him in the ark; and God caused a wind to pass over the earth, and the water subsided."

"...the LORD said to Himself, I will never again curse the ground on account of man, for the intent of man's heart is evil from his youth; and I will never again destroy every living thing, as I have done. While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.'"

"And God said, 'This is the sign of the covenant which I am making between Me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all successive generations; I set My bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a sign of a covenant between Me and the earth.'"
"...and I will remember My covenant, which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and never again shall the water become a flood to destroy all flesh."
(All scripture taken from the New American Standard Bible, Genesis 6-9.)
This last week New England, particularly Maine and New Hampshire was hit with a lot of rain. Inches and inches, day after day. Friday the entire state of New Hampshire was under a flood warning, and we watched as the river, only a few yards from our door, grew deeper and deeper. It began to overflow its banks at the camping space next to ours and in other spots throughout the campground.

By late afternoon the campground manager came around and asked us to unhook our sewer hose because 1.) rain water was standing around the drain and 2.) she wanted us to be able to make a quick evacuation if need be.

As the sun began to set, the rain began to stop. And God placed His bow in the cloud--a reminder of His promise.

The River crested during the night or early morning and ran high most of the day yesterday. This morning the river level has dropped considerably. Through it all, God's promise remains!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I so love rainbows. They are so beautiful. I am getting to where I really love the story of Noah. I pray that someday I will become as favored as Noah was back in his time. I know that as a human I quite often miss the mark. I as well know that God forgives me and that He will help me to continue to grow in Him. I am so thankful for that. Thank you for sharing.Cindy