Thursday, May 29, 2008

God Is On His Throne!

There have been many times in my life that my little corner of the world shook, my security crumbled, and fear and uncertainty gripped my heart, my stomach, and my very soul.

To remember but just a few:
1. I was in Jr. High, my dad lost his job, and I knew I was going to have to move away from all my friends.
2. Various difficult and stressful "marital moments"
3. The day we decided that we had no choice but leave a ministry and a dream behind and retreat, feeling defeated
4. After looking at X-rays of my daughter's broken arm, the physician's assistant looked me in the eye and shook his head.
5. Growing up moments when my children have graduated, married, or moved away
6. When a tactless nurse told me over the phone that my daughter might have cancer
7. When medical tests have detected imperfections in my first, and now my second granddaughter's precious little heart.

At times like these it is easy for my fears to take control, causing me to forget who is really in control. Thinking back over this list makes me breathe with shallow breaths and tears sting my eyes. I'm made of sinful earthen clay, and I admit that I need to be reminded that my God is bigger than any problem or trial I could ever experience. As always, God is faithful to give me those reminders--sometimes small and precious, sometimes huge and majestic!

Today He offered me a glimpse of a day-time moon. As I gazed on its beauty, it struck me that while I was enjoying the unique look of the moon high in the clear blue sky, someone, some other place on the planet, was enjoying the light it was reflecting into the darkness of their night. (I just had to snap some pictures.)

Yes, God is still on the throne in my little corner of the world--and in yours--wherever in the world that may be.

"When I consider Thy heavens, the works of Thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which Thou hast ordained; What is man, that Thou dost take thought of him? And the son of man, that Thou dost care for him? Yet Thou hast made him a little lower than God, and dost crown him with glory and majesty! Thou dost make him to rule over the works of Thy hands; Thou hast put all things under his feet...O LORD, our Lord, How majestic is Thy name in all the earth!" Psalm 8:3-9 NASV

No comments: