Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Among The Unfamiliar

Epsom, New Hampshire. That's where I am, but I really don't have a clue where that is. Well, I know it is in the northeastern corner of the U.S. of A., but I've not taken the time yet to take a good look at a map to know where I am exactly. Near Concord is all I can tell you at the moment.

I'm still trying to recover from road fatigue. We drove (not counting stops) about 35.5 hours. My backside is looking more like the seat of a Dodge Ram every day. And girlfriends, that ain't pretty!

I'll tell you what is pretty. Vermont--what bit of it we saw passing through--is pretty. In fact, pretty won't quite due. This description calls for the Texan vernacular. Folks, let me tell ya. Vermont is down-right purdy. REAL PURDY!

As I'm able to get out and about in New Hampshire I'll let you know what I think about it. I don't know how long we will be here. Rick doesn't have very many claims, so I only paid for two weeks here at the campground. I have reserved our space until the 29th of August because he hopes to get more claims as he gets some of these closed out. Just one day at a time we make our plans, knowing that they will probably change before the sun goes down.

One thing I hope to see while we are here is a moose. As we drove through Vermont and into New Hampshire we saw "Moose Crossing" signs along the highways. How cool would it be to see a moose crossing the road? I think it would be VERY cool! I did see a swan floating on a little lake along the roadside, but I've seen a real live swan up-close before. I've never been up-close to a live-in-the-wild moose before. I'll be sure to take my camera with me when I go to Wal-Mart, just in case a moose walks by.

Speaking of Wal-Mart--well, this really doesn't have anything to do with Wal-Mart, (or as the Yankee keeper of the campground calls it, "Waw-Mawt") it has more to do with being thankful.

I've titled this post Among the Unfamiliar. That's where I am. I remember a time when I thought I was in the middle of a spiritual growing spurt because God had taken me "outside my comfort zone." I did experience a growth spurt, and that made me glad, many times later, to have opportunities to be outside my zone. But I'm tellin' ya now, it has been so long since I've been "inside" my comfort zone, I don't even have one any more. If getting outside one's comfort zone is all it takes to grow spiritually, then I ought to be a giant by now! I'm not, so I guess there is more to it. Ya think?

Anyway, this uncomfortable feeling I always have when we go places I've never been before made me think of you, my readers. Especially those of you who are, at this moment, wishing for something like a moose to cross your path. I want you to live with a heart of thanksgiving. Here are just a few things that crossed my mind (like a moose crossing the road) that come with living inside comfort zones.

1. If you can find your local Wal-Mart Super Center without a GPS, be thankful.
2. If the word "local" puts the name of only one town or city in your mind, and if the word "community" stirs an emotion, be thankful.
3. If you know the best route to take to get to work or church or school, thank the good Lord.
4. If you can go into a store where you are accustomed to buying your groceries and find the Velveta Cheese without walking every aisle three times and asking the stock boy for assistance, then you have a lot to be thankful for.
5. If you go to the mall and see at least one person you know or have even seen somewhere before, be very thankful.
6. If you know your address without having to look it up, say "Thank you, God, for my comfort zone."
7. And if you have a place you call your "church home" and people there who are "like family" to you, who insist on knowing all your business--because they care and want to pray for you, drop to your knees and give thanks to the God who has given you all good and familiar gifts.

4 comments:

Brittney said...

How odd that your blog in on being thankful. In my Bible reading I just read how it is a sin to be ungrateful. I never really thought of it that way before. It did not come right out and say It is a sin to be ungrateful. That is just the way I read the scripture. Oh wow, how I have to work on that. Hope you get all stretched out and all the old joints working again. (Long car trips just stiffen me up). Looking to forward to hearing more about your daily adventures.

Brittney

God's Gal Sarah said...

Hey--thanks for the reminder. Everything here is happening so fast, and I really can't explain the emotions that are inside of me. I kinda feel like my rug of "college stability" has been jerked from under me and I'm not sure where I'm gonna land. But that's ok, because God has this perfect plan for me and He's going to make it all ok, for HIS GLORY! Like you said, He takes us out of our comfort zone to work on us...

I love you, Auntie Dearest! :-) Miss ya!

Lavonda Pflug said...

Hey Sarah, Your folks will be closer to your campus now. Is that good or bad? ;) I know you will be happy to have them near if you need them. And you'll still have your own bathroom when you go "home." That alone might be worth the drive! Your college is still stable, and congrats on all those scholarships! There's lots to be thankful for!

Lavonda Pflug said...

Hey Brittney,
It's easy to get in the habit of "ungratefulness." I think we all have to work on our "attitude of gratitude." Thanks for you input!