Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Floatin' In A Storm Surge

The world is a crazy place

Have you read the news or watched the TV lately? It's enough to make me want to move to Mars. Democrats and Republicans, the Left and the Right, wars, storms and destruction, the price of crude, and now the news about AIG and more devastation on Wall Street. I wonder if there will be anything left of our 401K when we get our next quarterly statement. I doubt it. I used to work for AIG, so I know how bad things are when a company like that needs a bailout. When a giant stumbles and falls, I promise you, the earth will shake.

I try not to think about it because doing so gives fear a big spot to stick its foot to climb all over me. It is not easy to be a concerned citizen without being a fearful one. I catch myself asking what are we going to do? Really, what can we do? I can't change the price of oil. I can't tell the banks how to run their business. I don't understand most of what is going on down on Wall Street, and if I did, what difference would it make? I can't change the hearts of men nor the policies of nations, so therefore I can't bring about peace on earth. What can I do?

The other night Rick and I were watching The Weather Channel (are you surprised) as Ike approached the coast of our beloved Texas. The guy holding the microphone and repeating himself every 15 minutes started talking to the not-to-bright but gutsy Texans along the coast who chose not to evacuate. He told them that after 9:00 p.m. no emergency calls for help would be answered. He was blunt when he said something like this. "After 9:00 if you decide you need help, you had just better find something that floats, tie yourself to it, and ride out the storm."

That's exactly what I can do! I can't evacuate to Mars, and there is only one thing that I know for sure will float. Psalm 102:25-28 says it like this. "Of old Thou didst found the earth; and the heavens are the work of Thy hands. Even they will perish, but Thou dost endure; and all of them will wear out like a garment; like clothing Thou wilt change them, and they will be changed. But Thou art the same, and Thy years will not come to an end."

God alone will float when life's storms threaten to wash us all away. So, I think I'll tie myself to Him and do my best to ride out the storm. I'm not sure what time it is, but I don't intend to wait until after 9:00. Excuse me while I go find some rope.

No comments: