Monday, June 2, 2008

Hurricane Season Is Here

So, what are you doing? Ya know it's bad when I'm sitting here watching The Weather Channel. I don't think I'm going to tell you how often I watch The Weather Channel. We have satellite TV. (We carry our dish around with us everywhere we go. I think we get about a billion channels (if you count the Sirius Radio stations) and still there is nothing to watch. So, we watch the weather.

One of my favorite songs is Forever and Ever, Amen. Remember that one verse? I'm gonna love you forever...As long as old men sit and talk about the weather, as long as old women sit and talk about old men.

I guess we are getting old. When I was younger I thought it funny that my mom would call me just to see if we got any rain, and if so, how much. Now I'm calling her to see how much rain she got at her house. (I know she got some because I watch The Weather Channel!) After we discuss the weather, then we often discuss our "old men." I hang up and laugh at myself every time.

Anyway, we watch a lot of The Weather Channel. Part of the reason is because bad weather means beans in the pot for us. Bad weather plus big trees (fallen on houses) might even get us a piece of chicken and some salad to boot. I've heard my husband say, "Trees are our friends." So the weather is of great interest to us.

Now don't get me wrong. We are not heartless vultures. We hurt and pray for the folks whose lives are disrupted and devastated by the storms. But the fact is, when a home is damaged in a storm and the owner needs to collect on his insurance policy so he can have repairs made, my husband is the guy who works to make sure that person gets the cash he needs. Some careers are not glamorous nor favored, but necessary. Such is the undertaker, the janitor, and the catastrophic adjuster.

Now that hurricane season is upon us, (the first tropical storm has already come and gone) I not only watch the weather channel, I check the National Weather Service hurricane page regularly. Even before storms are approaching our coastlines, I am checking out the waves coming off the African coast.

What's that you say? "Get a life?" Yeah, well...it keeps me off the streets and out of trouble.

The moral to this post? Into every life, some storms will come. Watch out, be ready, and thank God for those folks who help you get back on your feet again. (And it never hurts to watch the weather channel.)

1 comment:

Brittney said...

How strange to watch the weather channel that much. I thought I was the only one in my age group to watch it that often. With my family and friends living all over the place it just makes me feel a little more connected with them. I am sure if we made our living from the weather, ( sometimes when the storms are bad, Terry does have to go work on the power lines) we would watch it more.

I love the pictures of the scarecrows. Funny How I always think of scarecrows as being a fall item. I love to get my scarecrows out in the fall. I think they are just so cute and I love the colors. A few years ago I made some small stuffed scarecrows. I gave most of them out as gifts and kept just one.

As for your corner of the world being all shook up. I know how your feel. I have just finished reading the book of Job. What faith he had. I hope that my faith with stand me in good conditions with God. I know I am not where I need to be, but I am working on getting there. I just hope that one day I get there like he did. ( I just don't want to loose everything to get there.)

Praying for your family.